At the edge of the river Pas, passing through Puente Viesgo, rises the Monte Castillo, a cone-shaped limestone elevation hiding inside a maze of caves frequented by humans during prehistory


LOCATION
Monte del Castillo, Puente Viesgo.
RULES OF VISITS
The cave is open all year round guide service counting. The tour lasts 45 minutes. It is performed in groups of 15 people from 1 January to 14 June and 15 September to 31 December, in groups of 13 persons from 15 June to 14 September.
SCHEDULE
During the months of January, February, November and December, Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30 to 15:00 h. From 1 March to 14 June and from September 15 to October 31, Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30 to 14:30 pm and from 15:30 to 18:00 h. From 15 June to 14 September every day of the week from 9.30 am to 20.00 pm
SERVICES
– Point of care to visitors
– Car and bus
– Guided tour
– Interpretation Center
– Shop
– Toilet
ACCESS
Access by car: from the center of the town of Puente Viesgo, adjacent to the beach of the town in the district of La Llana, take a road leading to Monte de El Castillo. After about 1.4 km. Parking is reached. From there you can access on foot to the Interpretation Center and the cavities.
Access on foot: from the center of the town of Puente Viesgo, adjacent to the beach of the town in the district of La Llana, take the path PR-S17. After walking about 25 minutes you get to the Interpretation Center and the cavities.
DESCRIPTION

At the edge of the river Pas, passing through Puente Viesgo, rises the Monte Castillo, a cone-shaped limestone elevation hiding inside a maze of caves frequented by humans during prehistory.
At about 675 meters from thefamous cave of El Castillo, and following the road along the mountain, the cave opens Coins, the most famous tour of the cavities in the Monte de El Castillo.

gran_monedas_031
gran_monedas_021

At the time of discovery, in 1952, it was called Cave of the Bears. Soon there were impressions in different rooms of a boot with three nails in the heel. Following the footprints were located a lot of 20 coins from the era of the Catholic Monarchs, one of them resealed in 1563, in a deep pit of 23 meters. These coins, lost or hidden in the cave by an anonymous visitor to the sixteenth century are those that give name to the cave.
Of the 800 meters that has the cave, visited about 160 meters. The route lies a true spectacle. Stalactites, stalagmites, records, columns, hanging terraces and washes of color, due to the varied mineralogical composition of the rock, describes a geological tour. The processes of dissolution of calcite and sediment and discharge make a visit to the cave a gift, beauty and color for the eyes.

gran_monedas_081
gran_monedas_051
Unlike the cave of El Castillo, parietal figurative expressions are concentrated in a small side room a few meters from the entrance area. On the whole, very homogeneous in its technical realization (black drawing pencil drawing on) and style (which points to a single implementation), consists of at least 17 animal figures and various forms of signs or sets of lines are difficult to interpret. Especially horses, reindeer and to a lesser extent, goats, bison, bear and some other undetermined animal, make up a varied bestiary corresponding to a cold climate phase. The AMS 14C dating certify the completion of the figures during a glacial phase happened about 10,000 BC
RESERVATIONS
www.culturadecantabria.com
reservascuevas@culturadecantabria.es
Phone: 942 59 84 25. Fax: 942 59 83 05

Information obtained from cuavas.culturadecantabria.com