Comillas is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and famous of Cantabria, a magnificent architectural complex surrounded by a natural environment and landscape of emergency.

The municipality also includes comillano other lesser-known locations and one territory which, although not too extensive, varied attractions together.

12The town is bathed with the waters of the ocean from its rugged coastline. The beauty of the landscape is imposed on the senses, such as around the estuary of Rabies, which is framed by the snowy peaks of the Picos de Europe.

Emigrants returned from America, together with the Catalan modernism, Comillas transformed in the nineteenth century. Its quaint architecture, it is a good example of Gothic, neoárabe, Neomudejar … An excellent set that features a unique beauty in the region of Cantabria.

During the Middle Ages, a small town Comillas was living in his small fishing port and its farming and ranching. Located in western Cantabria soon fell under the power of the Marquis of Santillana, which held numerous local tensions. Its Gothic church, is now part of the beautiful cemetery of the village declared of Cultural Interest.

21In the late nineteenth century, the history of the population is an important turning point, thanks to a famous character Don Antonio Lopez Lopez after emigrating to America and establish naval and tobacco companies in the city of Barcelona, he began to make significant investments in Comillas . Because of his contributions to the war in Cuba, the king awarded him the title of Marqués de Comillas.

angel1From the nineteenth century, the growing prosperity of Comillas. Alfonso XII, who was invited by the Marquis and accustomed to spend the summer at four family homes designed for the court. This creates a large number of wealthy and nobles to settle in the region.

The Marquis began a major construction activity on the farm Sobrellano, starting work and palace vaults that are completed after his death.

His son D. Claudio maintains good relations and actual spends much of his fortune in partnerships and charities.

The Marquis II created the Pontifical University, although the building was erected by the Jesuits Don Claudio is offered to the Pope, granted the title of Pontifical. In the late nineteenth Comillas is one of the sites, along with Santander, the biggest summer of Biscay.

villa21The most famous summer resort of Comillas were conducted in the nineteenth century by King Alfonso XII. Over time the nobility was more colorful by choosing the village as a resting place, attracted by its beautiful beaches where the famous baths wave.

Today, the beaches of the Comillas continue to attract tourism, the waters that break its hidden coves and beautiful coastal scenery put these quotes in one of the most attractive coastal Cantabrian.

In summer, the animation goes to the beach town, breathing an atmosphere in the evenings and nights of the population.


GETTING THERE

mapa1
La Villa de Comillas, head of the municipality of the same name, is located on the western coast of Cantabria, 48 kilometers from Santander, the famous tourist village of Santillana del Mar and San Vicente de la Barquera, which forms the hub of tourism inexcusable for anyone who wants to know the autonomous community of Cantabria.

plano_servicios1

Visit

Ruta Modernista

plano-rutamodernista1
1. Source of the Three Caños

2. El Capricho de Gaudí

3. Palace Sobrellano

4. The Chapel of the Pantheon Marquis de Comillas

5. Puerta de la Pontificia Universidad

6. Universidad Pontificia

7. Cemetery

8. Monument to the Marquis de Comillas

9. Puerta de Moro

10. The Coteruca

11. Sto. Hospital de Comillas

Source of the Three Caños

fuente4Architect Domenech i Montaner
Age: late nineteenth S (1989)
Style: Modernism

Erected in the square of the same name (now the Plaza de Joaquín deep), thanks to D. Joaquin’s deep, son of the first political check, for his generous contribution to the works of water supply to Comillas.

Doménech poses a central column with three lateral records. The ornamentation includes posters with the word of thanks, plant motifs vague recollection of Gothic, crown and cross kick with arms finished buttons finish the column, floral borders and angels, as is the dolphin coiled central aquatic theme.

El Capricho de Gaudí

ccapricho1Architect: Gaudí
Leads: A. Cascante
Year built: 1883-1885
Builder: Jose Pardo
Style: Modernism

This summer residence was built in 1883 on behalf of Max Díaz de Quijano, the Marques de Comillas concuñado and the architect as Cascante Colom plane Gaudi.

The fad has semisótano, floor and attic, with a tower that stands out for his side in a vertical markedly horizontal. The main floor highlights a double-height living room, a dining room a few rooms, while in the basement and the Kitchen loft were the garage and other spaces for the service.

Socket on an impressive stone facades show alternating horizontal bands of brick and ceramic friezes with plant motifs of the flower and leaf sunflower, also present in the upper frieze, in the tower and the ends of openings.

Above the entrance porch, formed by sturdy columns with capitals decorated with curious naturalist representations of palm swallows stands lookout tower, inside which a spiral staircase takes you up to the highest art, finished in a temple.

Both above the porch and in the top of the tower is a circular iron railing with amounts in the form of whiplash and a decoration of grape leaves.

Other prominent features are the wrought iron balconies, with some banks of wooden seating and a canopy, also of iron, and sash windows, which when opened or closed, various ring tones through some checks.

Palace Sobrellano

palacio-sobre1Architect Joan Martorell
Leads: Christopher Cascante
Furniture: Cascante, Camilo Oliveras
Painting: Juan Roig, Eduardo Llorents
Year built: 1882-1888
Style: Neogothic

The set of Sobrellano, starting with the chapel-pantheon, is complemented by works from the palace.

In 1888 the palace was opened Sobrellano, which reflected different trends, ranging from Gothic to the English civil memories of the Venetian palaces, through the relief treatment close to mocárabes Muslims.

In any case the building structure is very gothic. The simple scheme palladianp (central hall with a monumental staircase and distributor of white marble, with a double shooting and lighting for a stained glass skylight of polychrome) generates an almost perfect parallelepiped barely broken by setbacks.

It breaks a monotonous pattern of ornamentation, generous in the main facade, while the facade zaguera more content.

This palace is actually a space to be shown, a device packed with objects and elements that reflect the personality of the Marquis de Comillas.

The large hall was conceived as the symbolic center of the palace, decorated with panels painted by eight Eduardo Llorens, showing the contributions to the family of the Marquis had made to the recent history of Spain.

The Chapel of the Pantheon Marquis de Comillas

capilla1capilla21Architect: Martorell
Leads: Camilo Oliveras
Furniture: A. Gaudi
Sculpture: Llimona and Vallmitjana
Year built: 1878-1881
Style: Neogothic

It is part of the whole Sobrellano, constituting a clear example of picturesque reaction against the classicism.

For the construction, the architect, followed by models of the English Perpendicular Gothic and Central, leading to a cathedral in miniature, in keeping with the spirit of the deeply religious founder Don and Claudio López Bru, second marquis of Comillas.

Inside it lifted the pantheons of the first mark, and his brother Claudio second marques, The Pantheon of Don Claudio Lopez and Lopez and Doña Benita Díaz de Quijano (1881) is an outstanding example of Catalan modernist sculpture in Cantabria. The sculptures of the “Prayer” and “Resignation” show the influence of Rodin and style appears to be related to the light and the atmosphere that surrounds them, three were made by leading modernist sculptors such as Catalan and Llimona Barbany and Jose Agapito Vallmitjana.

Inside the chapel, the prebisterio are lavishly decorate the altar and table of polished bronze, the front with the symbols of the Gospels and the Agnus Dei, and the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Also added the furniture designed by Gaudi, Gothic even airs, but announcing modernism.

The inauguration of the chapel-pantheon, coincided with the visit of Alfonso XII in 1881 to Comillas

Puerta de la Pontificia Universidad

puerta1Architect: Domenech Montaner Y
Year: 1892.

Gateway, then widened for the passage of vehicles, where it joins the brick, ceramic and stone metallic reflections in the shield, where the papal tiara and the keys next to the anagram Jesuitical JHS (Jesus, Savior of men ).

Wearing the shield appear two wonderful children pajes-dressed with rich drapery which falls in the year inaugural1892 and the Pope who gave the property to the Workshop, Leon XIII. Below the pajes to her feet, 2 clear influence of grotesque figures oriental arch crowned with medieval reminiscences and allusions to alien architectures.

The doors of this bow, now missing, were ornaments in the form of the passion flower, named for the reference to Jesus Christ.


Universidad Pontificia

uni1uni21Architect: Martorell
Leads: Cascante
Decoration: Montaner and Luis Doménech
Painting: Eduardo Llorens (auditorium), Juan and Jose M. Llimona Tambourine (church)
Year built: 1883-1892
Style: Gothic-Mudejar Eclecticism

After the construction of all remaining Sobrellano will only promote the great marques “Waqf”, which instead of perpetuating their names will help you “earn heaven.” That is why studying the possibility of a second high school education, eventually bound for Seminar poor (Pontificia Universidad later) run by the Jesuits, whose successful teaching model from SXVII

The floor routine I copy the structure of the buildings of the company (so il nostro “), basically involves the collection of the different sections of the school on two arcaded courtyards.

Using a rectangular plan, with the church framed by two courtyards. Churches stand spacious, easy access from inside and outside, deep vocals removed.

The construction was led from 1883 by Joan Martorell, who uses an eclectic Gothic-Mudejar very ornamental, adding after 1889, the decor modern and directed by Luis Domenech Montaner in the auditorium, church, public hall, staircase, door bronze , mosaics and coffered, breaking the severity of the original building

Cemetery

cem1cem22Architect: Domenech Montaner and
Leads: Llimona
Year built: 1893
Period: Modernist

Montaner and Luis Doménech plans to reform the cemetery integrating the ruins of the old Gothic church in its structure and planning a new near-ridden scenic elements (pinnacles, crosses kicking, arc for access.)

Landscape creation, the draft Domench, seeks to emphasize his point of ruin, cutting their profiles to include the sculpture of the Angel Guardian Llimona Jose (1894-1985), made in marble and located on the walls of the nave Old church. Domench planned addition to the cemetery, the pantheon of family D. Joaquin’s deep, with the tombstone on the wave by the twisted hoselines modernist.

Accomplished with minimal action to express the sense of the eternal, solemn and calm ambivalent angel posing as a bird, but also as outdated by the continuing presence of the ruin. Because those were ruined her story about events that start with zafarrancho was organized by the Mass that Sunday and into the autumn SXVI when an old village was forced to abandon sitiales reserved to the Dukes of Infantado, those feudatory lands. All of a congregation vowed never to step on that church and decided to build a new between the living and sheltered from the wind sea, inland, in what is now called the Church B º. There were lawsuits and more lawsuits and ultimately decided to remove the seat but the people in question had already decided to abandon the old parish worship and move to the hermitage of S. John (now occupied by the Town Hall).

It took two or three centuries to make the new church, at the cost of your holiday and that was abandoned.


Monument to the Marquis de Comillas

marq1Architect: Domenech Montaner and
Leads: Cascante
Year built: 1890
Period: Modernist

The Indian and Antonio Lopez Lopez, whose economic and social advancement has been unstoppable since his return from Cuba and the establishment of its business in Barcelona, culminating in 1878 with the granting of the title of Marquis of his native city (Comillas), in recognition Alfonso XII of the financial and material support provided to combat the insurrection in Cuba.

From this time the town of Comillas is personalized in the figure of the Marquis erecting a monument to his memory.

Held in the meadow of Angel Perez, a friend of Lopez, who had given the people to accept the monument. The council also raises funds to cover expenses.

Cascante draft that respects Doménech, stands with an original pedestal in the form of a ship’s prow and the column on which stands the statue of the Marquis. It is rich with maritime issues and highlighted the bronze statues, with the allegories of the Antilles and the Philippines (during the civil war was cast bronzes of the Indian and shields along with the figure of Lopez today or missing).

Puerta de Moro

pue1Architect: Gaudi
Address: Julián Pardo Bardi
Year built: 1900
Period: Modernist

Belongs to the home of Moro, which has a huge effigy of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on the facade of its square tower.

In 1900 it was agreed to build this port for cars. This procedure, as simple as synthetic-based waste rock that was destroyed and later recomposed so as cubist painters and everyday objects that had always been used in the construction of walls, the magnificent Gaudi and handling to give a new utility, full of imagination and rigor.

In addition to a gate for cars and pedestrians have a hole in the wall, why call it “the gate of the birds.”

Corrugated surfaces, rounded corners, curved volumes of this gate will be a benchmark in breaking linguistic architect, who opens up to modernity.

The Coteruca

cot1Year built: 1870 – 1871
Period: Historic French

In the beginning was the summer home of the family and subsequently Riera permanent residence of the Marquis of Movellán, who inherited. This building was built according to plans brought from France.

The “acastillada,” highlighted by the spectacular landscape of the site at the top of a hill that overlooks the sea.

The whole thing, from the battlements profile and crest rails to ruin the appearance of Gothic wall, it’s a quest for pictorial, picturesque appearance.

In the crenellated wall of the house is a stone shield which protrudes from the outer coat of an arm wielding a dagger or knife (now disappeared), the motive is repeated in one of the barracks where there is clearly a gentleman half body armor and headdress.

In the fireplace in the palace Sobrellano, placed an emblem carved in wood, which is another arm also armed with a dagger of the legendary Bracho.

The civil war only forgive their square towers and adjoining walls, destroying everything else. In 1990 the building was rehabilitated apartment building.

Sto. Hospital de Comillas

hosp1Architect: Christopher Cascante
Builder: Placido Diaz de la Campa
Year built: 1885
Period: Modernist

Claudio Lopez and Benita Díaz de Quijano, were the promoters of this book cover all expenses. At the entrance of this establishment, devoted to today Residence Seniors served by the Daughters of St. Joseph, appears a bust of D. Claudio Lopez and Lopez, the sculptor Vallmitjana Agapito (1888).

Hospital have not been preserved and the building has been undermined even if denotes a compositional scheme that resembles the palace facade with its gallery, in wood, with tiered porch on which sits the chapel dedicated to the Nuestra Sra Carmen, whose image is at the center of an altarpiece and mahogany gothic style, a central courtyard and four bodies that flank the corners. Incorporates, to the north facade, two bodies and open properties that give the whole movement, which united the central courtyard and the gallery attached to the facade, is extremely interesting.

Monumental Route

plano-rutamonumental2
1. Casa Ocejo

2. Puerto

3. Mirador Saint Lucia

4. The Spur

5. San Pedro Corro

6. Heart of Jesus

7. Jail

8. El Duque

9. Old Town Hall

10. Parish Church of S. Christopher

11. Corro Campio

12. New City Hall

Casa Ocejo

casa1

Casa de Antonio López, Marqués de Comillas.

Decided to build this house for his mother in the mid-nineteenth-S. It is a pleasure to rationalist house. At its origin Ocejo was a free house, cube, with a roof and 4 walls 4 waters, of which the main facade, which is called from the Plaza of Three Caños, (now the Plaza de Joaquín deep) is single built in stone masonry, but not well-carved ornaments.

This facade is distinguished from the other three in the door and 4 windows in the ground floor topped by a curious ogival decoration that suggests a neo-Gothic style.

The other walls have windows and balconies Hot stone with heavy bars at the ground floor, very comfortable mountain. From the architectural point of view are the neo-gothic windows that adorn the walls in stone masonry executed. The wall of the garden that overlooks the transition from road to Cabezón de Comillas, originated in 1850.

In 1881 King Alfonso XII Announces D. Antonio its intention to spend the summer is when the Comillas Comillas Marques called all sorts of artisans in Catalonia as well as architects.

Gaudí was involved in the design of the fireplace and the room Ocejo and decoration was in charge of the Catalan artists.

Puerto

puerto3puerto-22

The port is defended by the storms of the Northwest, North and Northeast, a high dam polygonal shapes that an interior basin, has a difficult access only 9m in width in which there is a gate made of wooden beams with which closed basin where strong tides or hangovers that endanger boats inland.

For many years the activity of fishing was linked to the Comillas beach and the port itself was not built until 1603 being completed in 1716, having invested more than 30,700 ducats, and be paid by the residents of Comillas. The port was defended in time of three booths and strong with four pieces of artillery. Historically, and especially since the construction of the port would have a preference in their fishery: whaling, which came out in boats to hunt, armed with harpoons. The importance was such that it was the last port Comillas Santander maintained their whaling tradition well into the S. XVIII. The tradition recognizes the great Pena Blanca, located beneath the cellars of the sailors, the place was once dragged the pieces of cetaceans for descuartizacion achieved. The catches were the most common sea bream and conger in winter, and sardines, and a cool summer.

For many years were exported through the port blende and calamine. It was downloaded or imported by it, years ago, coal and cement.

Following an old tradition was organized and regulated their own fishermen or dizzying Guild, called the Santo Cristo del Amparo, from the first decades of the S. XIV. However, in the XVII century, the Town begins to decline because of the short dizzying number of boats and fishermen has been reduced to

In the service area of the port there is a fish market: mountain-style building located on the west pier was built in 1942 on the foundations and walls of an old warehouse containing minerals from the Royal CIA Asturiana de Minas. The building has a central body with two floors and two sides of a single plant.

Way of the breakwater, has placed a bronze plaque with bas-figure and bust of the poet comillano Jesus Cancio (1885-1961), the “poet of the sea.”

Mirador Saint Lucia

mir2

We are faced with a magnificent coastline of cliffs, which is 50m high, interrupted only by the Comillas beach can be divided into three zones.

The first, ranging from the “Bird Rock” to the whole rocks Portillo (right).

The second is the central area, a promenade and various facilities.

The third is the harbor area. Not only has this quotation that extends between the port and the PICU Miradoriu. “It is the beach of the Dead, the cemetery behind the village, set in a tiny bay.

The last beach comillana, though not in the urban area is the estuary Oyambre, featuring ecosystems of great interest. Comillas is because, although it had its boom, first linked to fishing and then mine and trade in blende, his real fame and aristocratic connotations acquired by the end of SXIX, as a summer’s king Alfonso XII in 1881 and 1882. He continued his court, nobles and wealthy people with a modest figure of origin: Antonio Lopez and Lopez, who became the first Marquis of Comillas in 1878. Their relations with Barcelona, with architecture and artists of the time made, we are bound together and building this fantastic villa is one of the centers of Spanish modernism.

The shrine of Saint Lucia, has a highly popular with a good image of the patron, was donated by fishermen. They came to hear Mass in the early hours before heading out to sea. It is very simple in plan and elevation, covered with two waters, the main wooden door, and preceded by a small porch.

Highlights a small bell that sounded when the weather conditions were adverse.


The Spur

esp1esp22

In 1794 the Archbishop of Lima, Juan Domingo González de la Reguera, constructed the building to it for instruction, and where it stood in 1802 the Royal Seminary Cantabria; work Teacher Cosme Antonio Bustamante. It is characterized by the classicism of the patio, a quadrangular plan, which revolves around this central courtyard, the massive masonry construction, everything worked very well together, especially with its facade blown balconies.

JD de la Reguera and doto founded the chair of Latin, with his internship and school children. In addition to local classes, was the home of Latin teachers, the school children, toddlers and children.

In the building there is a shield with attributes Episcopalians, stamped by a clerical hat, with a mine and an open book, leaving the head hanging cords to the sides, ending in three tassels hanging and another union, instead of ten that corresponds to your dignity.

The field takes the tip cut:

1) head in a cross appears and Malta. To the right a ship passing through a bridge and is left to a tree uprooted, whose trunk is an animal empinante

2) The crosier shepherd crossed with the double-cross cross on a bishop’s miter. Bordure not hug the head and says. “Virgo TUA ET IPSA BACULUS ME CONFIATA FFAIRS tuus” (Your staff and your staff, these things have been entrusted to me).

At the bottom of the shield is a tombstone with the following inscription: Kingdom CARLOS IV and at the expense of HE. MR D. JUAN GONZALEZ DOMINGO DELA Reguero, ARCHBISHOP OF LIMA, Grand Cross of the Royal and Distinguished Order of SPAIN, THIS IS MADE FOR TEACHING SCHOOL PUBLIC ADDRESS OF ARCHITECT ANTON COSME. BUSTAMANTE. LORD OF THE YEAR 1794.

San Pedro Corro

corro1

In the vernacular of the Cantabria mountain, run a fence and is surrounded by leafy trees, where you play or where the pins used to dancing with tambourines and loose style. Highlights a set of eighteenth-century mansions, housing characteristics of the noble architecture in our countryside, built around the plaza of San Pedro. It Cueto out of the house early eighteenth S (1724)

Today owned by the family of Cueto Sanchez. Casona with decked balcony and flown to two waters of two heights, façade has openings in its regular, symmetrical with the door centered. What is striking is the presence of two hastíales as a windbreak. In the main facade is a large shield, and helmet with the distinctive plumage that falls on some lambrequines. It supports two lions, overcoming two male and female human figures, which rides on two birds. Lions support their legs over the heads of two mermaids lying.

Hotel San Pedro. In 1946, opened as a Parador is being harnessed to the fullest extent possible, the former home of Balbo, presents a bell helmet shield with the arms of nobility of the town of Comillas, with a profusion of ornament by lambrequines, and presents the field galley oars moving the chains on the tower and Sevillana, everything about the sea waves. On one side is the chapel of S. Pedro takes place on the afternoon of his name public and a solemn procession the image just starts a popular dance or dance plain called “dancing to Mr. San Pedro”, where the girls were old women, who remained seated until they were drawn to dance by the young men picayeros.

According to tradition, the devotion to the image of S. Pedro has its origin in that, before the people of the sea, had the habit of putting each coast under the advocation of a saint, whose feast took place at the beginning of it. And they gave this account of the beautiful coast.

Heart of Jesus

cor1

During the first decades of SXX articulating in Spain was a fledgling Catholic Action. The devotional was one of the most notable features is the devotion to the Sacred Heart one of the most characteristic of the consecrations.

D. Alfonso XIII, in the Cerro de los Ángeles, consecrate himself and his kingdom to the “sacred heart of Jesus.”

The monuments of the Cerro de los Angeles will lead to a proliferation throughout the Spanish geography, monuments to the sacred heart. “One of them is in Comillas, very simple, to be carried out in Barcelona for the second Marqués de Comillas .

This sculpture is located in a place called “La Peña”. Behind the parsonage house, which dates from 1770 to the pulpit with balcony and cornice requebrada presents a square roof and four waters.

Are facing masonry or sillarejo, which provides a closed volume.


Jail

carcel1

Building with two cells and the inner courtyard was built and donated by the comillanos in 1879 and today is home to pilgrims on their way through the coast of Asturias de Santillana.

The route started from the former capital of the Asturias Orientales, Santillana del Mar, by Oren continued towards Novales through Cigüenza.

The next village is Cóbreces. Among Cóbreces Comillas and the Sale of Tramalon, whose shrine is kept an image of Santiago.

In Ruiloa after transit through shell penetrates Comillas by Portillo, but not before a stop at the right vantage point from which the whales were sighted and they made smoke signals that arponeros came to them.

Quotation was the whaling capital of Biscay during SXVII, thanks to the income that it caused were freed from the manorial court and was able to care passers Santiago, the hospital, which had already built a blessed in the city, with Licensing and papal indulgences in SXVI.

SXIX was collected in a curious legend, until then transmitted by oral tradition, on the road to Santiago in which quotes Quotes “coming as a knight to follow the glorious body of the holy Apostle, when his disciples brought him to Jerusalem Galicia, finding no passage in one arm of the sea that is toward the valley of Comillas, a horse is entered in the water and move to Galicia. “” When I left the water was all over the body, like his horse, strewn with shells Therefore, since then, gave the coat of arms Apóstol, and used them as pilgrims. ”

The mythical legend, despite his fantasies, indicates the strong tradition of the path of the Cantabrian coast.

El Duque

duque1

Architect: Francisco Hernández Rubio

Year built: 1899-1902

Period: Historic English (English type)

Finalizing the nineteenth century, the influence of English architecture Comillas reached as a result of the admiration of the Spanish bourgeoisie towards the Anglo-Saxon world. Francisco Hernandez Rubio planned for the lawn of the Villa St. Joseph of the Duke of Almodóvar del Río.

It takes its name from the famous “cottages” Swiss and their admiration of the English architecture, emphasizing all the topics of these assumptions rustic: asymmetry, multiple axes, wooden and brick work, etc.. In contrast to the palace the eclecticism and modernism Sobrellano Capricho de Gaudí.

At the southeast façade there is a shield stamped by faced helmet with a crown of Duke and a crest that is crowned king or with the neck chain. Take in a round ornament on the card for signs or flags loaded escutcheon. Field and headquarters escuson

Old Town Hall

ayunt1

Located in the Plaza de la Constitution, 1775 to build on the ruins of the hermitage of S. John and former Hospital of pilgrims. Follows the pattern of arcades with arches of solid masonry half point, which cover a comprehensive portal that has been available to the people and one-floor window with door opening onto a balcony, supported by a large antepecho.

The masonry work was done Simon Fernandez de Castro in its main facade is exposed 5 coats of arms of the Archbishops 5 Comillas shots that made the nickname of the “town of the archbishops.”

Juan Antonio González de la Reguera (1720-1805) Bishop of Peru.

Rafael de la Vara (1754 -) Bishop of Guatemala

Bernardo Martinez of Rabia81759-1826) Bishop of Sonora, Mexico

Saturnino Fernandez de Castro (1827-1886) Bishop of Archbishop of Burgos and Leon

At its meeting room, who was unknown who was the author of the design, but judging by the similarity with some of the Palace grounds Sobrellano seems likely due to the instructions of Martorell D. Eusebio Güell., Contains two copies of portraits of D. Antonio López y López and D. Claudio Lopez-Bru, and Joaquin’s deep painted by Antonio Caba Casmitjna (Barcelona 1838-1907). Is held to receive the visit of Alfonso XII, the necessity of hosting a true representative.

In the sunshine, there are two heraldic pieces. One of them under the royal crown and the ring is another helmet of nobility, and a ship that breaks the chains of Seville with his bow. In Guangzhou the tower top and tip of Andalusian water waves. Are the weapons of the Municipality of Comillas.

Are kept in place, some kinds of popular mountain houses, row houses with front views, with fire walls, eaves, together they create the City Council and the church an austere place. Was declared a historic quotation (of cultural interest as historical) in 1985.

Parish Church of S. Christopher

igl21
igl1

Construction time: since the second half S. XVII until 1831

Built by Rubin, architect of Pesues

This building was physically built by its own inhabitants, who set aside during the years that lasted the works one day a week to work on the project occurred after the scene with the manager of the Duke of Infantado in the former church that was stood on the cliff to the beach of the Dead (current cemetery). Also the cost was shared by all the people.

A quadrangular and rectangular head, with three naves and imposing tower prismatic, four elevations, finished in the eighteenth century and finished with a balustrade in a pyramid pinnacle. Made of stone with ashlar masonry in the buttresses, in esquínales and fences of the openings, is on the inside of the Christ Amparo, patron saint of fishermen, whose dedication went comillanos and sailors who were entrusted in moments greater danger, romance and an interesting body of early twentieth century.

In the context of religious architecture in the region, this temple is unique due to two doorways. To the north is an open door between buttresses of classical influence, with half point arch flanked by pilasters and crowned with a pediment game. At this end there is a niche in which it highlights a modern image of St. Christopher, the sculptor of Santillana del Mar, Jesus Otero. The façade opposite another access to the arms of the town and the Crown and with an inscription that dates back to 1713.

Two coats. The headquarters is on the right and escuson takes the royal crown that is only a vestige, lambrequines decoration and gold collar of the Toison:

1) and 4) and Castillo Mazon Donjon. Arms of Castile.

1) and 3) Leon rampant. Weapons of Leon.

In escuson the lises of the Bourbons, one of them ringing this small escuson. Arms of Philip IV. (Arms of Spain in the parish church)

The other piece gunsmith supports the above three heads, a ship by breaking the chain of Seville. In the upper left canton tower three bodies, and Head, which does not distinguish very well. Arms of the town of Comillas

Martorell’s intervention left a clear imprint in the pulpit, at the gate of prebisterio now partially disappeared in the choir and the stained glass windows, of which only two remain.

Corro Campio

corr1
In the corrosive SXIX are located in the town square near the church, whose campaign marked the end of Mass and the beginning of the game of bowling.

The removal of shot and the danger of forcing the ball to delineate the area of the game, bowling or running, with stone walls leading to the traditional bowling.

Campi is one of the most typical of Comillas, perched in one of the higher areas of the town through the streets leading to the irregular Corro Campi, where the walk, dances and Sunday where the game was played of bowling.

King Alfonso XIII, throw some balls in this run (1881) and this is where the festivities are celebrated of Santo Cristo del Amparo on July 16; Campio years running, he was decorated with arches, flags and pennants together by string bulbs at night, in those concurridísimas dances, and hundreds were wearing bright extension of the triumphal arch that greeted the city every year to visitors of those days: “Quotes to outsiders.”

Today remains a civic use as a meeting point.


New City Hall

ayunt-nuevo1

Doña Manuela Sanchez and the deep Movellán command to build this building to it for free nursery school (first school was established for girls and later years of the children) and governed by the Congregation of the Daughters of Charity Presiding center your garden, an angel of iron, is at one side of the Plaza del Angel, currently built. In a corner of the old school, shows an image of the Madonna and child in her arms, which could be the sculptor José Llimona.

Opposite him, the house of Tomas Gonzalez de la Reguera and Doña Maria del Pomar, Archbishop of Lima’s parents Don Juan Domingo 1726.Presenta data of sunshine between hastíales supported by corbels, cornice, and which presents and supports a requebrado beams of the roof.

In the sunshine are two shields. One of them over a ledge and on the lintel that supports the wing, is made of wood and polychrome. Like a billboard in the ring he had read a registration edge in a locket, lace Episcopal headquarters and field:

1) A tower of two bodies and on each side of the tribute comes a flag, and the two sides lises. Armas Gonzalez.

2) Tree lost a shape that is indistinguishable, but is supposed to be a lion and the head three blades.

3) Repeat the first quarter, this time without lises.

4) a smugglers and in the right upper canton lily. Armas Gonzalez de la Reguera.

Also in the sunshine, carved in stone, faced with a helmet and sign rolls again this shield, identical in every detail with the exception of bringing in the head with the inscription “WEAPONS OF GONZALEZ de la Reguera”

Striking that an adjoining tower (S. XV). From the old factory only retains its medieval paintings s, a pair of gargoyles cannon shot and a modern roof. The tower is divided into three floors lower deck. It has a quadrangular plan with masonry walls and masonry in esquínales.

Downloaded from www.comillas.es