Santillana del Mar is a municipality in the autonomous community of Cantabria (Spain). It lies on the western coast of Cantabria, between the towns of Suances Torrelavega Alfoz of Lloreda and Reocín.
This small town is one of the most important tourist attractions throughout the region and home to the Altamira Cave, regarded as the “Sistine Chapel” of the rock art, and the Collegiate of Santillana del Mar, which dates from the twelfth century.
Santillana del Mar has also with Zoo and Botanical Garden of important dimensions in which the predominant fauna ibérica, highlighting a whole insectarium colonized by butterflies of all sizes, shapes and colors. There are also several museums including the Museum of the Inquisition, the Diocesan Museum and the Regina Coeli Museum of Jesus Otero.
Since tourism is an important focus its cobbled streets are almost completely filled with inns and shops typical Cantabrians. Among the valued anchovies Santoña, the famous cheese of Picon Tresviso cecina and deer, among others. Besides food stores, are also noteworthy establishments craft products, which dominate the sculptures of characters from mythology Cantabrian.
This town has its origins in the Middle Ages, around the monastery of Santa Juliana. Human bones have been recovered in the medieval necropolis of the town. The date of foundation of the monastery is not known. Legend is attributed to monks of the ninth century, which carried the relics of St. Juliana in this place, erecting a shrine and a monastery. Currently associated with the founding of the monastery repopulating the flow driven by the successor of Alfonso I. From the year 980 the monastery was established, and was establishing its territorial jurisdiction and especially the area known as Asturias de Santillana. Since 1175 is configured with an abbot and chapter organization. With the support of the nobility, the abbey managed to become the most important medieval Cantabria. Alfonso VIII in 1209 gave jurisdiction to the town, which became the capital of Asturias de Santillana. The monastery of Santa Juliana declined, but started the urban development of the town, organized around the Plaza Mayor or the market (now Plaza de Ramón Pelayo) and the Torre del Merino. In 1445, King John II gave the manor of the village to the first Marquis of Santillana and his successors, the Dukes of Infantado. It had its own judicial district until 1840, when it became part of the party and party at Torrelavega San Vicente de la Barquera.
La Villa de Santillana del Mar is entirely historical Artístico Order by July 27, 1943 (Official Gazette of August 3). The historic center is made up of homogeneous stone buildings, most of the XIV to XVIII centuries. The village developed around a track, the street of Santo Domingo, which splits into two: the road John Infante, who comes to the Plaza de Ramón Pelayo, and which was named president of the King, now with different names for each section: Race and the Canton River.
Velarde Palace in Plaza de las Arenas, Santillana del Mar.
Details of typical architecture.
Cloister of the Collegiate of Santillana del Mar.
Many prominent buildings in this district, including:
* Palacio de Velarde or Arena. It is located in the Plaza de las Arenas. It is building a transition from Gothic to Renaissance, began construction in the fifteenth century and modified in the XVII. The façade has a staggered hastial and decorative pinnacles. Has the blazon of Velarde.
* Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana. At the end of the two streets of town. It is a Romanesque-style church, built mostly at the mid-twelfth century, with additions of later centuries. Protected monument by Royal Decree of March 12, 1889 (Gaceta de Madrid of April 14), being the first monument Cantabrian who won this award. It is built of stone ashlar sandstone. It has a basilica and three ships will end in semicircular apses. Is a structure that is modeled on the Roman Road of Santiago, especially Frómista. The highlight of the set is the cloister, the end of the twelfth century, particularly in his forty-two Romanesque capitals.
* Houses of Quevedo and Cossío. Adjacent to the trough that some meters before the Collegiate. Dating from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Both houses are placed in a squad that form a single dwelling. The northern part of the house is the House of Cossío and the south is the Casa de Quevedo. At first you can see the crest of Cossío. In the second, which belonged to a relative of Francisco de Quevedo Villegas and see the family coat of Quevedo. La Casa de Quevedo is the chair and has a vaulted tunnel that serves as the drainage and river waterhole.
* House of the Archduchess or Abades. It is a building that is on the left of the Collegiate. house of the late seventeenth century. He belonged to the family Barreda Bracho. The coat of the facade are modern, the work of Jesus Otero.
* House of Hombrones or town hall. It is located next to the house called Leonor de la Vega, in the streets of Guangzhou. It is a house built between the XV and XVII century. This name was given by two gentlemen with a mustache holding up the huge shield of the Baroque facade of the Villa crest.
* House of Leonor de la Vega. Is in the streets of Guangzhou. It’s the end of the fifteenth century and the beginning of the sixteenth, so can not seem to be, despite what the tradition says, a building I lived doña Leonor de la Vega, mother of the first Marquis of Santillana. The facade may be three coats of the Gothic home of the Vega.
* Palace or House of Valdivieso Valdivieso. Also written Valdivielso. Is at the end of Canton Street, on the right. It is a XVIII century building, with the crest located on the corner. It is now a hotel.
* O The Torre del Merino Torron. Located in the old market square, now Ramón Pelayo. This is a fourteenth century tower, topped by battlements. It is well known for being the place where dwelt the merino, a civil servant who represented the king.
* Torre de Don Borja or Fundación Santillana. It’s in the Plaza de Ramón Pelayo. Although it must have medieval origins, the party appears to be conserved and restored by the end of the fifteenth century or the beginning of the XVI. To the sides of the antepecho is a shield with the coat of arms Barreda. It has a courtyard that connects the two volumes. It owes its name to Don Francisco de Borja Barreda, Barreda last descendant of the nineteenth century. Among its later owners was the Infanta Doña Paz de Borbón. In 1981 he was restored to be the headquarters of the Fundación Santillana.
* Palacio Barreda-Bracho, also called Casa Palacio Barreda-Bracho or Barreda. Since 1944 is now the Parador Gil Blas. It’s in the Plaza de Ramón Pelayo. It is a Baroque building erected at the end of the seventeenth century. The lineage of Bracho was related to the Barreda, hence the name that is known.
* Town Hall. Located in Plaza Ramón Pelayo, in a baroque palace. It is notable for its cast iron balcony with a shield on top.
* Houses of the Eagle and the Eagle or Parra and de la Parra. Are next to City Hall on the square. They are two separate buildings attached. La Casa de la Parra is so called because it had a great vine on the facade, is a Gothic building of the early sixteenth century. Eagle’s home or the Estrada is the seventeenth century. Luce Estrada and the coat of arms on its façade Tagle. He is currently an exhibition hall of the Regional Government. In front of these houses there is a bison sculpture of Jesus Otero.
* Casa de Bustamante. It is located in rue de la Carrera, 7. Dating from the late seventeenth century-eighteenth century. It is a tall building which has balconies pulpit. The façade shows the arms of the Bustamante.
* Tower of Velarde. At the end of the street from the Carrera. Old house-tower of the fifteenth century, in stone masonry with two doors Gothic.
* Benemejís Palace, also known as the Palacio de Barreda Peredo-Peredo or Palace. Now hosts exhibitions of Caja Cantabria. A palace is a square and two stories, the roof, four water is topped by pinnacles at the corners. In the front is the coat of arms of the Peredo; within the portal is the Ceballos family Barreda. Its various names reflect the history of this property. Ordered its construction Miguel de Don Francisco Peredo, a knight of Calatrava since 1694. One of its owners was later don Blas Maria Barreda (siglo XIX) and the Marquise de Benamejí. Preserves paintings by artists such as Valdes Leal and Mengs, and extensive library.
* House of the Villa. House opposite the Palace of Benemejís. Eighteenth-century pulpit with balconies and coat type.
* House of Alonso. House next to the Benemejís. Two small shields.
* Diocesan Museum Regina Coeli. This museum is located in the Convent of the Dominicans, on the other side of the road-Barreda Comillas. It is a building of the XVI century, in Herrera style. The museum was created in 1964, and it preserves, studies and exhibits art. The building is the Renaissance cloister. It houses a restaurant and shop Diocesano Documentary Archive.
* Convent of the Dominican Convent and San Ildefonso. Faces the Diocesan Museum. Founded in the mid-sixteenth century.
* Casa de Tagle Sanchez or the Casona de Tagle. Is in the area called Camp Revolgo. Building in the late seventeenth century, built by a family that was enriched in Mexico. It is a mansion with a facade of mountain home with two chairs and semicircular arches.
Cave of Altamira and Paleolithic Cave Art of Northern España1
World Heritage – Unesco
Replica of the ceiling of Altamira
(National Archaeological Museum)
Coordinates [show location on an interactive map] 43 ° 22’57 .1 “N 4 ° 06’58 .2″ W / 43.382528, -4.116167
Criteria i, iii
ID No. 310
Registration Year 1985 (Session IX)
2008 Year Extension
1 Official name as Unesco
2 Classification by Unesco
In addition to this heritage building, in Santillana del Mar is one of Cultural Interest, with the category of furniture: the Rule Book or cartulary of the collegiate church of Santa Juliana, in Santillana del Mar (Decree 122/2003, of July 18 ). Kept in units of the Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana. It is considered the thirteenth century, with later additions. It measures 150 x 240 mm and is bound with two wooden slats covered with skin. Copies, complete or fragments, 94 deeds of the years 870 to 1202, divided into 64 sheets of parchment.
With regard to natural heritage, notably the Zoo de Santillana del Mar, the oldest in the region and some trees in the locality. In The Garden Farm is a 35 meters of eucalyptus and ginkgo height of 22 meters in height. At the Park Plaza Robleda The oak is a 16 meters tall.
Seven are the cultural assets of the municipality:
* Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana and Senate, with the rank of monument.
* Torre de Don Beltran de la Cueva on Viveda monument.
* Palace Viveda (casona mountain XVIII), monument.
* Palace Mijares monument.
* Cave of Altamira, archaeological site that also is part of world heritage.
* All village of Santillana, historical.
* Book Rule cartulary of the collegiate church of Santa Juliana, who is kept in the Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana, movables.
Moreover, as local interest are listed medieval Tower of Calderon de la Barca in Viveda.
Fiestas de Santa Juliana. These festivities take place around June 28 in honor of the town’s patron, St. Juliana. There are many events for all ages and activities for children, sport activities or traditional food. The most important day is June 28 as it is the day of the patron. This day is a procession, Mass and dance in honor of the patron
On the western coast of Cantabria are two of the most precious of all treasures found in this region: Santillana del Mar and Altamira Caves.
Santillana del Mar, about 30 kilometers from Santander, is a living museum of a medieval village developed around the church of Santa Juliana, though most of its houses are of various architectural contributions to the XIV century. The historical-artistic Santillana can not visit more than standing. The villa opens way north through a single route, the street of Santo Domingo, which soon splits in the form of “Y” in the Juan Infante, leading to the Plaza de Ramón Pelayo, and that taking various names (Carrera, and the Canton River) goes to the Collegiate. In the square, triangular trace is located some of the most representative buildings: the house of the Barreda-Bracho eighteenth century with shield and pretentious legend (now the Parador Gil Blas), the Eagle and The Houses of Parra, the City Council ; la Torre de Don Borja, built in the late fourteenth century and is one of the noblest buildings of Santillana, belongs to the lineage of the Barreda, which gives shelter to the Fundación Santillana;
and finally, the Torre del Merino of the fourteenth century, which is the oldest building, fortified residence of merinos or managers of sovereign interests. Canton Street, meanwhile, presents a wonderful set of houses of the XV to XVII which includes the Gothic house (s. XV) Leonor de la Vega, mother of the first Marquis of Santillana, and the the Villa (known as that of hombrones “to sustain the huge arms of two gentlemen with the front end of the street bigote.Al of Canton is located Collegiata, the most important religious monument of Romanesque architecture in Cantabria. Built on a old chapel in the seventeenth century, the plant has three apses, and three cruise ships. In the main facade there is a triangular pediment with an image of the martyr, and above, a gallery of fifteen arches framed by three towers, one cylindrical. The cloister adjoining the north nave, is considered the masterpiece of all, for his excellent size and decoration of its capitals.
But the taste of this millennium and stone museum, which is the town of three lies (nor is it holy because Santillana, neither flat nor is the sea) is the movement of people flooding the streets are always flowery balconies is the charm of places that offer the glass of milk with cake …
Two kilometers of Santillana is another major artistic treasure of Cantabria: the caves of Altamira, universally recognized. Discovered in 1879 by Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola and his daughter Mary, have been declared by UNESCO world heritage site. The cave, about 300 meters long, contains about 150 engravings, the artistic expression of Paleolithic man. The paintings are polychrome based natural pigments that have been preserved since the Quaternary age, are the figures of bison and deer.